Pilot project “Support Measures for Small-Scale Fishing”
European Maritime and Fisheries Fund
177 767 Euro total project costs, 159 990 Euro grant amount
The project aimed at supporting small-scale fishing organisations in Bulgaria and Romania. Its objectives are manifold. First, it identified representatives of small-scale fishing in both countries. Second, it identified if and how they are represented in branch organisations, including in private initiatives or in bodies established by public organisations (e.g. advisory councils, established under the Common Fisheries Policy), as well as in other forums and platforms working towards sustainable management of the fishing industry. Additionally, the project aimed at creating a database with representatives of various organisations in Bulgaria and Romania in order to facilitate their communication and commercial activities. Furthermore, the project presented the LIFE Platform and the benefits and importance of small-scale fishing having limited impact on marine environment. One of the project activities focused on training small-scale fishing representatives in terms of policy making; best EU practices; how small-scale fishing representatives could influence the future of the Black Sea; purpose of EU advisory councils; and best practices applicable for the Black sea. Moreover, the project aimed at exchanging experience with the LIFE Platform representatives in Bristol, England (UK).
The project team published 6 scientific articles on topics related to small-scale fishing, which were meant to stir a broader debate among scientists. Furthermore, eight practical guides for all involved in this sector were published (please, see below). The project helped facilitating the exchange of best practices as well as the participation of small-scale fishing organisations in establishing advisory bodies. An equally important benefit of the project was the improved qualification of small-scale fishermen after their participation in training seminars. Moreover, the project contributed to the establishment of a more effective association representing the interests of all stakeholders as well as to the creation of an Internet and a Facebook based platform, which provide opportunities for small-scale fishing organisations both to receive and exchange information. Finally, the project contributed to the exchange of knowledge and experience between young scientists.
- Practical Guide: Blue Growth and Integrated Maritime Policy (Практически наръчник – Син растеж и Интегрираната морска политика), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Guide_8_bg_WEB.pdf
- Practical Guide: Local Initiative Groups of Fishermen and the opportunities, which they provide to small-scale fishermen (Практически наръчник – МИРГ и възможностите, които те предоставят за дребномащабните рибари), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Guide_7_bg_web_pa....
- Practical Guide: Small aquaculture farm. How to start a business in the small-scale fishing sector (Практически Наръчник – Малка ферма за аквакултура. Как да започнем дейност в сектор дребномащабен риболов), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Guide_6_bg_web_pa...
- Practical Guide: How to become beneficiaries of the Maritime and Fisheries Programmes and of other EU funds (Практически Наръчник: как да станем бенефициенти по Програмите за морско дело и рибарство (ПМДР) и други фондове на ЕС), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Guide_05_bg_web_p...
- Practical Guide: How small-scale fishing organisations could contribute to protection of Black sea (Практически Наръчник за начина, по който ОДР ще допринесат за опазването на Черно море), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Guide_4_bg_rev1.pdf
- Practical Guide on promotion of activities for diversification of small-scale coastal fishing and adding value to fishing products (Практически наръчник за насърчаване на дейности за разнообразяване на дребномащабния крайбрежен риболов и добавяне на стойност към продукцията), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Handbook_3_bg.pdf
- Practical Guide: Best practices for representatives of small-scale coastal fishing (Практически Наръчник: Добри практики за представителите на дребномащабния крайбрежен риболов), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Handbook_2_bg_pas...
- Practical Guide on the opportunities for inclusion of women in small-scale coastal fishing activities (Практически Наръчник относно възможностите за включване на жените в дейностите, свързани с дребномащабния крайбрежен риболов), available in Bulgarian at: http://smallscalefishing.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Handbook_1_bg_pas....
Since 20th November, 2017, the newly established European Association of Fishermen in the Black Sea is a member of the Black Sea Advisory Council.
Successful projects Consult BG Ltd.
Office in Shumen
29, Vasil Levski Street
Mobile Phone: +359 878 608 862
Phone/Fax: +359 54 801 791
Shumen 9700, Bulgaria
Office in Sofia
98, Bulgaria Blvd, Business Building “Astra”, office 1
Mobile Phone: +359 876 742 770
Sofia 1408, Bulgaria