SUPREME - Supporting Maritime Spatial Planning in the Eastern Mediterranean
Supreme is co-funded by the EC – DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) Call for Poposal.
Total project budget is 2.5 Million of Euro; 80% of the budget is funded by the EU.
SUPREME focuses on two key objectives:
- Supporting the implementation of Maritime Spatial Planning in EU Member States (also developing specific criteria and indicators to evaluate the MSP process at different scales and at different stages);
- Launching and carry out concrete and cross-border MSP initiative between Member States.
To develop cross-border cooperation on MSP, common objectives at sea level basin will be examined and mechanism for an operational network will be proposed. In order to support Member States implementation of MSP, a careful analysis and practical actions are foreseen on the following issues:
- Spatial demands for maritime sectors and related cumulative impacts.
- Data and information’s requirements for MSP.
- Tools and methods supporting MSP.
- Stakeholder’s involvement and participation.
- Definition of the most appropriate geographical scale for MSP plans.
- Coordination of sectorial policies.
- Land-sea interactions and relationships with ICZM.
Moreover, Supreme will work on five specific cases studies:
- Northern Adriatic
- Dubrovnik-Neretva County
- Slovenian coast
- North-Eastern Ionian
- Aegean Sea
SUPREME involves the following partners:
- CORILA – Consortium for coordination of research activities concerning the Venice lagoon system (Italy) - coordinator; embedding as associated partners: CNR-ISMAR National - Research Council, Institute of Marine Science (Italy), University IUAV of Venice (Italy)
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Italy);
- Ministry of Environment, Protection of the Territories and the Sea (Italy);
- Croatian Institute for Spatial Development (Croatia);
- Regional Centre of Development of Koper (Slovenia);
- Hellenic Ministry of Environment and Energy (Greece);
- National Technical University of Athens (Greece);
- University of Thessaly (Greece);
- National and Kapodistriako University of Athens (Greece);
- UNEP/MAP United Nations Environmental Programme, Barcelona Convention – Secretariat, Coordinating Unit for the Mediterranean Action Plan, embedding: INFO/RAC and PAP/RAC.
Managing Director of CORILA
Tel: +39 041 2402511