The conference will take place on 11-12 October 2017 in Brussels, Belgium and aims to provide a forum for discussion and exchange, offering concrete examples and guidelines on how to apply MSP as a tool to support sustainable maritime economic development (‘Blue Growth’). This conference, organised by the EU MSP Platform on behalf of the European Commission is aimed at both MSP practitioners, authorities as well as industry representatives and will be attended by Mr. Karmenu Vella, Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries.
In particular, the conference aims to:
- Share best practices on how MSP can lead to certainty and sustainability of the Blue Economy;
- Discuss approaches and experiences of conflict resolution and overcoming tensions;
- Discuss approaches and experiences towards synergies, co-location, etc.;
- Discuss approaches, experiences and various purposes on how to anticipate fu ture maritime developments and their spatial implication – enabling planners to really ‘plan for the future’;
- Discuss how the MSP process can facilitate a better understanding of the needs across maritime sectors stakeholders and ecosystems, thus fostering a more sustainable economic development;
- Discuss the role/needs of traditional maritime mobile sectors such as shipping & fishery versus the place-based needs of relative newcomers such as offshore energy & aquaculture.