Overview of MSP related maritime uses
- The Black Sea is a key EU Eastern gate, a junction between Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East, important transport and energy hub, a crossroad of different cultures, a region with political, social and economic fragmentation. Bulgaria and Romania provide the EU access to the Black Sea and are therefore the main drivers of the initiatives related to MSP in the Black Sea region.
- The Black Sea Basin Directorate Management Plan for the period 2009-2015 specifies measures to protect the coast from erosion and abrasion and addresses the following sectors: waste water treatment; sewage; agriculture; shipping and ports; fisheries and aquaculture. The Marine Strategy of the Republic of Bulgaria (2016) assesses the current status of the marine waters (in compliance with Article 8 of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive), determines the good environmental status, and establishes environmental targets (in compliance with Articles 9 and 10 of the MSFD) in accordance with 11 descriptors.
- Current uses: increasing interest as an energy hub
- Issues: nature protection, economic development, transboundary cooperation
- Future uses:
- Offshore renewable energy production
Which maritime spatial plans exist?
Pilot plans for MSP exist. Please see MSP Practical Information database for more detailed information.
Maritime planning is practiced on a sector-based approach. Some general measures, that cover MSP (and ICZM), are mentioned in the Development Strategies of the coastal districts (Burgas, Varna and Dobrich), in the National Strategic Plan for Aquaculture in Bulgaria (2014-2020) and in the National Regional Development Strategy (2012-2022).
National MSP authorities
- Ministry of Environment and Water – Black Sea Basin Directorate - Varna
- Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works
Phone +359 29405537
Maria Georgieva: State expert, Directorate General “Strategic Planning of Regional Development and Administrative-Territorial Organisation”
- Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications – Executive Agency “Maritime Administration”
- Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Company
Phone +359 28079999
Angel Zabourtov: Director General
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry – Executive Agency "Fisheries and Aquaculture"
- Ministry of Energy
Institute of Oceanology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (IO-BAS)
Phone +359 52 370491
Prof. Dr. Snejanka Moncheva: Director
Dr. Margaita Stancheva: Chief Assistant, Department of Geology and Marine Archeology
Phone +359 700 10 145
Peter Kirov: Chief Secretary
Last Update 10.07.2017